Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Learning to Farm


Hello, Mr. Happy Bison
Anyone that knows me is aware that it's my dream to have my own small, mixed farm. So, that's where I've been... learning, and learning, and learning. I've spent much of my free time this summer working on some local, organic farms. I'm trying to soak up every last bit of knowledge before I actually make the leap and buy my own land (that will happen within the next two years or so).

I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in Alberta learning a whack of things about livestock from some pretty amazing farmers out there. O.k., so these illustrious two happen to be some of my favourite people in the whole world, but I'm really not biased when it comes to their model of farming. They are true stewards of the land, raising bison, cattle, and sheep on pasture. I was lucky to have spent time there learning from my friends, Kathy and Richard.

Oh, and the food.... My oh my, we ate the most tender bison, sticky ox-tail, succulent lamb, authentic tongue tacos made by an authentic Mexican, and unbelievably juicy chicken. We also feasted on fat cracklins and fresh, raw cream and butter. I ate eggs that were deep yellow because they came from chickens that live in the sunshine, eating grass and bugs. My body rejoiced at receiving meat and fat rich with Omega 3s, CLA, Vitamin A and a whack of other nutrients because they came from animals that eat and live the way they're supposed to - outside, in the sunshine, eating prairie grasses. Good food with good people is a blessed event.
A bison steak good enough to bring tears to my eyes.
I'll let you in on some of the things I've learned and continue to learn about farming over the next couple of weeks. Until then, check out this great site for all sorts of information about the health and environmental impacts of grass fed meat.
Beautiful Big Sky Country

No comments:

Post a Comment