Monday, December 1, 2008

Homemade Cream Cheese

Homemade cream cheese is so rewarding to make. It's easy, it's fast, it's pretty much 'zero' on the effort scale. Best of all, it's delicious. If you make your own yoghurt, just whip up some extra in your next batch for this recipe. If you don't make your own yoghurt, a good quality, organic, whole milk yoghurt is what you'll need to get. You should be able to find one that is not homogenized - buy that one.

It's nice to have a container of this cream cheese in your fridge. My kids like to come home from school and put a good size dollop on some sourdough bread with a little bit of raw honey on top. I just like to eat a spoonful whenever the desire so compels me.

Homemade Cream Cheese
  • 1 litre of raw or unhomogenized, organic, whole yoghurt
  • cheesecloth
  • sea salt
Place a sieve over a large bowl, line it with the cheesecloth (folder over a couple of times) and pour in your yoghurt. Allow to drain for a couple of hours on your countertop. After a couple of hours take a large wooden spoon (longer than the width of your bowl) and tie the cheesecloth to it tightly. Remove the sieve. Leave the yoghurt dangling above the bowl for about 6 more hours or overnight. 

You'll notice a clear liquid in the bottom of the bowl. This is the 'whey' that has separated from curd. Don't throw this away. You can put it in a jar and keep it for a couple of months. Use it to make cultured vegetables. 

When your yoghurt is done hanging about, give it a good squeeze and untie it. Scrape out the now cream cheese into a glass container, mix in a bit of sea salt to taste, and keep it covered in the fridge.  

There you have it - cream cheese without all of that chemical grossness.  In fact, what you have is a healthy cream cheese loaded with probiotic goodness. See, I told you it was easy!

4 comments:

  1. So at the risk of sounding silly... what is the yoghurt hanging in? I may have missed a step, or misread something.....

    I'm asking because I LOVE this, and I can't wait to try it... how long does the cream cheese last (or does it usually not stick around long enough to find out?)

    Yum. A great idea... I just need that little bit of clarification! I'll let you know how my first attempt goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out. Your yoghurt is in cheesecloth which is lining the sieve. I've updated the directions so hopefully it's a little more clear now.

    The cream cheese will last about 3-4 weeks. Of course, we never have enough that lasting is a problem, bet you don't either.

    I sometimes add a teaspoon or so of raw honey along with my salt, but you don't need to.

    Yes, please do let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see someone else likes homemade yogurt cream cheese as much as I do! Isn't it great? You have a wonderful blog! I look forward to reading your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment Kimberly. You have a wonderful blog too!

    ReplyDelete